Thursday, June 30, 2011

A food quota plea, of sorts

"Many of our most useful foods -- yogurt, wine, bread, and cheese -- are products of controlled microbe growth." 
-Barbara Kingsolver, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle


          Germs are not always our enemy. The four food products listed above are not only germerrifically delicious, but happen to make up the majority of my squirrel list, and I believe my daily yogurt intake alone, with all its lovely microbes, to be one of the main reasons that I suffer the effects of other germs so infrequently. Except for today, which found me curled up in bed with an unexpected stomach bug. Today I ate only a strawberry popsicle, then a raspberry popsicle, then an orange popsicle, then another strawberry popsicle, a little bit of rice pasta, and another strawberry popsicle...you get the drift. In any case, the purpose of this post is not to disgust you with my unappealing food day, but rather to serve as a plea: there is a very good chance that these "bad" germs will still be in my system tomorrow, and that means that there are innumerable, delightful, fermented dairy, carbohydrate, and alcohol products in this world that will not be consumed by me, and that is a crime. So, I ask of you, eat breads and spreads at breakfast to your heart's content, whip up an afternoon parfait, and have that extra glass, or two, of wine with dinner, because I'm leaving a gaping void in the good food to be eaten daily quota, and someone will need to make up that difference. I'm counting on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment