Wednesday, August 10, 2011

When life gives you lemons, make lemon mascarpone cupcakes



I don't mean to toot my own horn here, but, let's be honest, these lemon, mascarpone cupcakes are true perfection. There is a certain book author, and perhaps one national grocery chain, that deserve some credit for the success of this recipe, but - toot toot! - I might reserve most of the confectionery acclaim for myself. Every home cook or baker has a real show-stopper in their recipe arsenal; this is mine.
After making an attempt at the notoriously tricky french macaron (in a tiny city kitchen with an ancient gas stove, antique even), I found that the resulting cookie was not nearly as tasty as the filling I had made to put inside -- a mixture of lemon curd and mascarpone cheese -- and I ate the extra by the spoonful. The creamy mascarpone smoothed the tangy sweetness of the lemon curd creating a balance that I later discovered was the absolute perfect topping to a classic vanilla cupcake. Rather than mixing cheese and fruit curd together from the get-go to frost this perfect cupcake, I built it in layers, first spreading a small amount of curd on top and then frosting the cakes with a slightly sweetened mixture of heavy cream and mascarpone cheese, whipped into an airy cloud.

The cupcake recipe comes from Amy Sedaris' I Like You, a must-have guide to entertaining that includes both recipes and tips on things like entertaining the elderly and how to turn your living room into a discount movie theater. Sedaris notes that this recipe "should produce 24 cupcakes, but I get 18 because I'm doing something wrong." She must be doing something right because they were voted best cupcakes in the city by New York Magazine, and won me a blue ribbon when I entered my version in a local cake contest. For the winning cake, I doubled the recipe and cooked the batter in four cake rounds, using three to create the final layer cake (pictured below). To win the contest I beat out a cake shaped like a sexy, bikini-clad lady torso. Yes, this recipe is that good. Make it, share it, and don't hesitate to do some horn-tooting of your own.


Lemon Mascarpone Cupcakes

Cupcakes:
"Tattletail's Vanilla Cupcakes" from Amy Sedaris' I Like You
Yields 24 (or 18) cupcakes

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups milk

1 batch Whipped Mascarpone Frosting (below)
5 oz. Lemon Curd (you can make your own, but I like to use Trader Joe's)
Lemon Zest and Blueberries for garnish (if you want to get fancy)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill 2 muffin tins with paper liners. Beat sugar and butter. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Sift in dry ingredients, then beat until well-combined. Pour into prepared pans and cook until tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle. Let cupcakes cool fully.


Frosting:

2 cups heavy cream
8 ounces mascarpone cheese
1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar

Place all ingredients in bowl and whisk/mix with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Spread a teaspoon of lemon curd on each cupcake, then frost. Grate fresh lemon zest over the frosting, and top with a blueberry. Devour.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mallory - Your confections make my mouth water...and when lemon curd is part of it, I'm hooked. Keep it up!
    from, Jess's friend Lee in NC
    Oh yeah, I'm hooked by blueberries, too.

    ReplyDelete