Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A fast and filling textured breakfast


            I have long taken issue with oatmeal. At some point I decided that the texture was disagreeable—stewed, tiny eyeballs was what I settled on, if you must know. I can’t remember where or when I conjured this disturbing sensory association, but it seems permanently ingrained in my mind.
I desperately want to like oatmeal. I love rolled oat in cookies, baked into granola, and even recall a delicious bowl of oatmeal prepared for me by a friend with raspberry jelly stirred in. In love with this singular memory of the oatmeal that I once enjoyed, I frequently stir up a batch on my own, tending to it dutifully at the stove, only to scrape the final dregs into the trash when the first, eyebally glob sticks in my throat.
            Last week, I found the solution—the perfect hot, breakfast creation that combines the health benefits of oatmeal with some savory spices and a bit of texture and crunch that I can happily stomach. I make it each morning now, carefully folding it into my tupperware to schlep along with me to work to start the day. Examining my porridge of quinoa and oats, my coworkers shake their heads, muttering thoughts about “hippies” and “crunchy granola” types. Or, at least that’s what I think they’re saying; it’s hard to hear their mumblings exactly over the sound of my own, entirely satisfied, chewing.

Hot breakfast cereal

Makes enough for 1 serving

2 tablespoons quinoa
3 tablespoons rolled oats
1 1/4 cups water
Salt, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom to taste
1 tablespoon flax seeds (optional)

In a small pot over medium heat, combine the quinoa, rolled oats and water and bring to a boil. Simmer the grains, lid-off, and stirring occasionally to prevent sticking and bottom burning for 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the spices and flax seeds and mix to combine.

I like to finish the dish with a whack of plain Greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey. Fresh fruit or nuts also make a delightful addition.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jess - This came across my desk this morning, and I thought of you
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/dining/i-was-a-cookbook-ghostwriter.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hpw

    Your breakfast looks beautiful! Our solution has been steel cut oats with nuts and fruit (and raspberry jam today!)..takes slow cooking, though.

    Love, -L

    ReplyDelete