Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Linger longer, lunch

For the first time in four months, I did something unusual today--I made made myself lunch, and then ate it, calmly, sitting down.

I've been a bit openly harsh on my weekly schedule and eating routines and it's not because I'm not entirely thankful for all that I've been able to learn and achieve in the past few months. Still, so stuffed each day with a mandated recipe in class, or pathetic leftovers that I'd toted to work to eat standing up, huddled behind the swinging kitchen door, a meal made just for me, and which I could eat, savor even, at whatever prolonged pace I chose, seemed like something extra special.

I thought going to culinary school would teach me more about how to write a recipe precisely. Turns out just the opposite is true, and that really, I had it right all along. I was told, repeatedly, that a recipe is just guidelines and not the final ruling--it's ok, encouraged even, to change some ingredients and proportions. You can't cook by the recipe alone and expect a great meal; you have to cook a bit from your head, and your heart, reasoning out what proportions will actually make for the best meal, and what ingredients will become most harmonious. The truth is, chefs, by nature, are just notoriously bad at writing recipes. Because they don't frequently use them. The number of times that we actually followed a chef's recipe, verbatim, in class, I can count on one hand. To follow directions makes you a good student; to develop a sense of proportion, and rhythm, and taste, makes you a good cook. So, I'm asking that you humor my often imperfect recipe measurements because even if your fistful of arugula is different from my own, chances are, it's just the perfect size for your meal.

Israeli Couscous with roasted squash, pears, and fresh arugula

Serves 1

Ingredients:
1/4 cup dry Israeli couscous
1/2 bosc pear, diced (or 1 whole pear, and just eat 1/2 of it for your pre-lunch snack, like I do)
2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
a few tablespoons of pepitas, raw (or another seed/nut if you prefer)
olive oil for the pan
salt and pepper and cinnamon to taste
a huge fistful of fresh baby arugula

1. Cook the couscous according to the package directions. I like to use a 3:1 water to couscous ratio.
2. Spread the squash on a sheet pan, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and cinnamon, and put into a 450 F oven for about 30 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned. When the squash is almost done, add the pear and the pepitas to the pan. Roast until the pear just softens and the pepitas are crisp, but not browned.
3. Toss the arugula with all of the cooked ingredients, add any more olive oil and salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot.
4. Savor your meal for as long as you'd like. No one is going to rush you, today.



No comments:

Post a Comment