Thursday, January 24, 2013

Cheese please, and some prose


Yesterday, I was thrilled to see an article in the New York Times that links food and words in perfect harmony, specifically cheese and prose. This particular article talks about so much at once—the beauty in the art of making cheese, the profound deliciousness and stark contrast between the products, and the ever-present competition felt by anyone who has ever attempted to make a creative passion into a career. Well worth a read. Highlights from the article include stunning (if not a bit moldy) images, talk of sex, drugs, and fermentation, and this insightful description of an Andante Dairy Nocturne:

Icelandic ponies. Japanese cats on the Internet. Yawning puppies. Toddlers who give each other hugs. Goats climbing all over everything. Pink and green macaroons. Red pandas. Sparkly nail polish. Do you get where I’m going? Cute things. This cheese is so perfect and cute and delicious you just want to marry it. Or buy one and eat it.
-Jeff Gordinier for the New York Times quoting a description from the Bedford Cheese Shop


Breakfast today: fried egg atop sautéed shiitake mushrooms, arugula, and fresh bean sprouts. Then, topped with a quick, mixed-up miso, sesame, soy sauce.


To make it your own, simply sauté whatever vegetables you like most, or those that you have kicking around the refrigerator (something green and leafy paired with something of the fungal or root variety is my favorite). Add in some fresh sprouts or more leafy things for a little crunch, and finish with a fried egg, yolk still runny, please. Try mixing together any of these wonderful condiments if you’re craving a little extra dressing: soy sauce, sesame oil, brown rice vinegar, white miso paste, honey, sriracha. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello Jessica! I'm Gabriela. I don't know if you remember me. I spent a month living in your house in Cape Cod ten or eleven years ago. I loved Murphy and Buster. I've been searching you unsuccessfully in Facebook. But now i found you in Twitter. Please follow me and we can keep in touch! I would like to hear from you. I'll be waiting for your answer. Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabriela! I remember you, claro, y estoy muy emocionante ver tu mensaje! I too have been looking for you, and I'm already following you on Twitter. I think this is a direct link to my facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/jessica.spier.39?fref=ts), or just send me an email, jessica.turner.spier@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you, quiero saber más! Besos y Abrazos!

    ReplyDelete