Friday, June 3, 2011

I Would Eat That On A Hot Dog




Yes, that is macaroni and cheese, on a hotdog.

I first went to the Lucky Dog in Provincetown on a whim because nothing else in town had opened yet for the season, I was starving, and the lime green sandwich sign advertising their all-beef franks came to me like a gift from god. I went back, however, because it was amazing.
I had always passed by the restaurant because it looks a bit commercial, and Provincetown is a town with a wealth of good eats to choose from. I was thrilled to discover that many of the Lucky Dog’s offerings and condiments are in fact homemade, their hot sauces and assorted relishes are especially delicious, and their entrees are prepared expertly to order. What’s more, the staff is beautifully friendly, welcoming you to peruse the menu, waiting patiently for you to decide (I don’t eat hog dogs every day, and I love condiments, it’s a tough choice for me), and then making suggestions to make sure that your meal is, well, top dog.
I ordered the Mac Dog on both visits because it was so delicious I just couldn’t order anything else. It plays expertly to that inner child, serving as the ultimate nostalgic and crave-able meal. The Mac Dog is an all-beef frank with macaroni and cheese generously lathered on top. I don’t mean this hot dog comes with some macaroni topping, I mean it’s like a mountain of mac, on top of the dog. It’s available with bacon for a slight fee, and let me tell you, the bacon is well worth the extra cents because it’s not you’re average strip; it’s the real deal, scrumptious, ham-hock style bits of heaven that they mix into the mac, along with extra cheese, and then expertly layer onto the frank. Thinking of my waistline on the second visit, I decided to forgo the bacon, and the meal was still mouth-watering, but the mac was noticeably juicier the first time around, you know, when it was mixed with that lovely, fatty, bacon grease. On both occasions, I have offered my dining partner only a bite of this creation, and probably got a tad fussy when I thought the bite was a bit too big. It’s that good, really.
It’s a good thing I brought a buddy both times so we could sample a few other entrees as well. The sauerkraut, swiss, and red onion topped dog is actually not listed officially on the menu, it’s a slight variation that hotdog expert, and restaurant co-owner, Aaron, recommended specifically for Zach after asking him some questions about his taste preferences. The combination was killer; juicy, and appropriately tangy. The red onion sauce has a beautiful, vinegary taste to it, which is certainly acquired. If you’re a basic ketchup and mustard kind of person, this dog isn’t for you, but if you like more depth of flavor, the earthy, almost truffle-like undertones of the homemade onion sauce are a treat to eat. James tried the pulled pork sandwich, which we rated above average for a red-sauce style pulled pork. However, we are all Carolina Style pork enthusiasts (that’s the clear, vinegary sauce), so we felt just a tad let down. But if you’re a red-sauce barbequer, then by all means, dig in. And finally, the dessert red velvet cake devil dogs are divine. The cake is wonderfully moist, not dried out or crumbly at all, and the frosting is certainly sweet, but texturally perfect; not a limp whipped topping, but a sugary, dense filling, just the way I like it. And when Aaron caught me outside taking photos of the food (when you have a food blog, you do this a lot, and people stare at you a lot too) I was not mocked but rather given free dessert!
The menu is extensive, offering many items beyond the hotdog varieties, and you can get out cheap with the classic dog and condiment creations, or you can go a bit fancier. The lunch for two, pictured above, was around $15, drink included, and we absolutely devoured every last bite. This is not your average hot dog joint; it’s a delicious destination that takes pride in it’s product, produces some excellent homemade additions, and deserves praise for being a hot dog restaurant, in Provincetown, that takes itself entirely seriously, and succeeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment